A year ago, I had the amazing opportunity to work with children with special needs for my internship. I realized I had a love for this area of work a year and a half prior to that when I stumbled across a job working with adults with special needs the summer I stayed in Rexburg. When I had the chance to do an internship in a preschool setting with children, I jumped on it. Three days a week I got to work with one specific little boy with Autism. Some days were really difficult for me and I wanted to be done with the day before it even started. However, there were also some amazing days...and they always made up for the bad days. Throughout the semester, we learned some tricks to help him get through the day. I got to spend some time with my little friend playing outside. I also found some inside activities such as sorting and puzzles that he enjoyed and did really well at. Being able to spend one-on-one time with him on the especially good days were amazing. It was also wonderful to be able to help him calm down and relax on the days that were more difficult for him.
During the time I was working with this boy, I didn't realize what a blessing it was to me. He has such a sweet spirit. There is one thing with him that is different than most people with Autism and that is that he makes eye contact. He has the most beautiful blue eyes that would make your heart melt when he looked at you. I could have been so frustrated with the games he was playing and he would just look at me and the frustration almost completely faded away. The last memory I have of him was as he was leaving on the last day of preschool and he gave me a kiss on the cheek. I think it made up for all the difficult days I had experienced with him for three months.

Now, I am at working at another center and am back with adults again. Last week, I went to a work meeting that focused on supporting people with Autism. Rather than listen like I really should have been doing, I found myself thinking about my friend from preschool and how much I miss him. I can't help but hope he has continued to improve and is doing well now, hopefully in Kindergarten.
No comments:
Post a Comment