In the newspaper today...
Sherie Porter Wright
1954 ~ 2012After a courageous battle with cancer, Sherie Porter Wright, 57, passed away peacefully in the loving arms of her sweetheart and surrounded by her loved ones on Saturday, March 10, 2012 at her home in Peterson, Utah.
Sherie was born on April 22, 1954 in Provo, Utah to L. Aldin and Shirley Porter. The eldest of six children, Sherie attended Ricks College and, after serving faithfully in the Anaheim, California Mission, she married Kelly W. Wright on January 4, 1978 in the Idaho Falls Temple.
The quintessential nurturer, Sherie's greatest joy in life came from teaching and loving her children and grandchildren. She delighted in service to her family, friends and community, especially through her work with the Morgan High School Volleyball Team and on the scholarship board. She loved to read, treasured education and believed that happiness and achievement in this life both require hard work.
Sherie manifested her deep love for our Savior, Jesus Christ, and His gospel as she daily went about doing good. No matter the pain or sacrifice, she remained dedicated to doing the Lord's will, always seeking to bind wounded hearts and lift up heavy hands, even when weighed down with her own temporal cares. She found great joy through family history work and serving in the temple.
She is survived by her eternal companion, Kelly W. Wright; her seven children and their spouses, Sara Anne and Aaron Fausett, Michael and Diedre Wright, Matthew and Michelle Wright, Thomas Wright, Mark and Jacky Wright, Amanda and Ethan Wilford and Elder Timothy Wright; her eleven grandchildren, Caleb, Elisabeth, Isaac, Palmer, Lucy Belle, Katelyn, Mayli, Madilyn, Juliet, Emma and Ian; her parents, L. Aldin and Shirley Porter; and her siblings and their spouses, Lorie and Ed Watts, Julie and Ralph Powell, Leslie and Blair Scoresby, Brent and Melissa Porter and John and Connie Porter.
Funeral services will be held Thursday, March 15, 2012 at 12 noon at the Morgan North Stake Chapel, 2755 W Old Hwy Road, Morgan. A visitation will be held Wednesday, from 6 to 8 p.m. at Walker Mortuary, 45 West 200 North, Morgan and Thursday at the Morgan North Stake Center from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.
Interment, Peterson Cemetery.
We are grateful for the outpouring of love from the community and the many offers of help and service we've received. In honor of our beloved wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, sister and friend, we invite those who wish to help to do as Sherie would and find someone who is lonely, downtrodden or in need of cheer and bless their life with acts of Christlike service. Also, in lieu of flowers, those who wish are invited to donate to the Temple Patron Fund of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
She is survived by her eternal companion, Kelly W. Wright; her seven children and their spouses, Sara Anne and Aaron Fausett, Michael and Diedre Wright, Matthew and Michelle Wright, Thomas Wright, Mark and Jacky Wright, Amanda and Ethan Wilford and Elder Timothy Wright; her eleven grandchildren, Caleb, Elisabeth, Isaac, Palmer, Lucy Belle, Katelyn, Mayli, Madilyn, Juliet, Emma and Ian; her parents, L. Aldin and Shirley Porter; and her siblings and their spouses, Lorie and Ed Watts, Julie and Ralph Powell, Leslie and Blair Scoresby, Brent and Melissa Porter and John and Connie Porter.
Funeral services will be held Thursday, March 15, 2012 at 12 noon at the Morgan North Stake Chapel, 2755 W Old Hwy Road, Morgan. A visitation will be held Wednesday, from 6 to 8 p.m. at Walker Mortuary, 45 West 200 North, Morgan and Thursday at the Morgan North Stake Center from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.
Interment, Peterson Cemetery.
We are grateful for the outpouring of love from the community and the many offers of help and service we've received. In honor of our beloved wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, sister and friend, we invite those who wish to help to do as Sherie would and find someone who is lonely, downtrodden or in need of cheer and bless their life with acts of Christlike service. Also, in lieu of flowers, those who wish are invited to donate to the Temple Patron Fund of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
For the last month and a half or so, I looked forward to almost daily texts from my Uncle Kelly updating us on the great progress she was making as she fought this cancer. A week and a half ago, things went downhill and never got better. I received a call on Saturday afternoon about 1:15 telling me that Aunt Sherie had passed away.
I didn't have the opportunity to go see her because she left so quickly, but as I think about it, I am grateful for the last memory I have of her. Two months prior, we had gone as a family to do sealings in the Salt Lake Temple. That was the last time I saw her. And one of the last things I remember her saying to me was to never go to the temple without a family name. I have been multiple times to the temple the last couple months, and I have taken that counsel to heart. I have always had a name with me, and will continue to take a name whenever possible.Aunt Sherie was a big part of Porter Family traditions like Apple Cider Day and Scrooge Night. This last December we had a great Scrooge Night. Upcoming years will be very different without Aunt Sherie to lead us in songs, and love old Fezziwig. Oh, how we love these amazing songs...
I Like Life
Thank You Very Much
Apple Cider Day is an amazing fall day in October that we get together to make fresh apple cider. We use an old cider press kind of like this...
You start by cranking the wheel to cut the apples into small pieces. They fall into the crate-thing and once it's full you press it by spinning the handle at the top. I can't explain it very well, but it makes amazing apple cider. :) More than anything, Apple Cider Day is a day to get together and spend time as a family. These traditions will be very different without Aunt Sherie.Naturally, I have thought about memories of her the last few days. Aside from family get togethers, there are many things I remember. For a few years, the Wrights lived just down the street from us. I decided to stop sucking my thumb (yes, I decided) when I was four. Aunt Sherie made me a little bunny for when I was able to sleep without sucking my thumb. When the Wrights lived in our ward, Aunt Sherie was a Gospel Doctrine teacher. One year on Easter Sunday, she asked me to sing in her class. I sang the song "He Sent His Son." She made me the dress that I was baptized in. The summer I lived in Rexburg, I got to spend an evening with Aunt Sherie, Uncle Kelly, Amy, and Tim walking around the campus, eating dinner, and swimming in the pool at the hotel. A few summers ago, I went with Uncle Kelly's singles ward on an activity. Later that summer, he was released as Bishop and had a dinner date for the bishopric. I was able to go as the date of the Executive Secretary. That was a fun night with my Aunt and Uncle. Family reunions are wonderful times, especially our Big Trip nine and a half years ago. I have so many memories that keep coming back, and I'm grateful for them.
Aunt Sherie taught by example. The most important lessons I think I have learned from her are: live life to the fullest, love those around you, serve everyone, make constant visits to the temple, make everyone feel important.
At times like these, I am so grateful for family. I am so grateful for the Plan of Salvation and the knowledge that families are forever. I have already seen such great support among us all, and there are still more difficult days coming...



2 comments:
Sherie was an amazing woman! I had only met her once but I was so glad I could meet her. She was so chipper and happy even while going through a rough time. I am sorry for your loss. It just know she isn't in anymore pain....she is serving the way she would have wanted!
What a wonderful tribute!!! Thank you for sharing it and for being my girl. I love you!
Post a Comment