Sometimes, my job is really stressful. But, really, it's not just sometimes, it's basically all the time. I enjoy what I do, and the people I work with...co-workers and clients both...but there is so much to do. I feel like I have one of the trickiest positions because even though I do have an assistant, she isn't really able to help me much with my responsibilities because she works so much with Supported Employment. I'm grateful that she is able to just take over that, but I struggle because I have one of the biggest day programs and I'm supposed to take care of it all on my own.
Today was a rough day. I felt like a terrible coordinator, and it was one of those days that at the end of the normal work day I just wanted to curl up and hide. Even though there wasn't anything specific, it was just a rough day. In fact, I basically worked a 12 hour day to try and get some things organized and under control.
Every month we have an in-service meeting. They hold it at three different times over two days in the hope of getting as many people to actually be able to attend since there is always someone on a shift. I went to the meeting yesterday. However, since the meetings are held at my building, it's pretty common for me to catch some of the other meetings as well. Today, I made it a point to listen to one specific part...for both meetings.
My favorite part of these meetings are the "celebrations" where they acknowledge those who have reached milestones working for TURN. The Directors also take some time to thank certain Coordinators, Assistants, and Staff for specific things that they noticed. I enjoy listening to all the great things everyone does.
Now for a back story...a couple weeks ago, I was over at a different building. I had originally gone to ask a question to the coordinator, but stayed for a couple minutes to talk to some of the clients I know well from when I was working before. They were eating lunch and one of these clients (one that has held a very special place in my heart) started choking. It was a scary moment. While things were settling down, I started helping out. I really enjoyed the time helping some of the clients that I knew before, and I just loved helping the coordinator and staff at that building.
I was pleasantly surprised yesterday when my Director called on me during the list of thank yous. After acknowledging the one who actually saved the client's life, she mentioned my willingness to help out. It was amazing how hearing that thank you helped my day today. Hearing what you do well always seems to make up, in some way, for what you feel you are lacking in. That boost will hopefully get me through some craziness of this job.
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment