Monday, February 20, 2012

Beautiful Heartbreak

Last night, I had the amazing experience to go to a Stake Relief Society fireside.  The speaker was Mariama Kallon.  She is a convert from Sierra Leone in West Africa.  Her story is amazing.  She told us about witnessing the murders and torture of family members, escaping the rebel soldiers, and eventually coming to find the gospel.  She has a hygiene kit that she received from the humanitarian services before finding the church.  When she came to the United States to serve as the first African sister on Temple Square, it was one of the few things she brought with her.  Seeing her talk about everything in the kit, and explaining how everything was used and how grateful she was for it, I just wanted to make hygiene kits.  I had no idea really how grateful the people are who receive and use the kits.  It amazed me.

A few months ago, I saw a new song by Hilary Weeks called "Beautiful Heartbreak."  I found it while reading Stephanie Nielson's blog: nieniedialogues.  She and her family were featured in the music video, as well as another woman that I didn't know.  Last night, I found that other woman.  It was Mariama Kallon.  I loved this song and video before because of Stephanie Nielson an her amazing story.  After hearing Sister Kallon and her story, I love it even more.

No comments: