Saturday, February 25, 2012

Basketball!

It's interesting to see the difference between last year's basketball fans and this year's.  I went to the BYU game today, the last one of the season.  Last year, we waited in line for about two or two and a half hours, then waited inside for another two hours before the game started.  People camped out for days in advance...tents were nearly all the way around the Marriott center.  Today, there were just a handful of tents, they opened a doors an hour and a half before the game started, and even though it did fill up, it wasn't necessary to wait for hours...or days.

I did go early and wait a little with Jared (Shayann and Janalee joined later).  After we got into the Marriott Center, we found pink sweatbands on our seats...already free stuff. :)  Once we had our seats secured (on the 8th row right in the middle), we went and played games.  The first one we had to throw a paper airplane into a basket.  If you made it, you got a Frontier Airlines t-shirt.  It was pretty hard not to win though, because if you didn't get it the first time, the man would say "one more" and hand you another plane.  It was pretty funny...there was a little kid ahead of us in line that threw at least 10 airplanes before getting one in.  We walked around, I bought a basketball game day t-shirt, and made our way to the Pinko game.  I got another shirt there...a BYU one this time (even though it does say Raintree on the back)...and a pack of gum.  Not bad in the way of free gifts.

Naturally, there was a lot of curiosity about the pink sweatbands.  There were people wearing all pink handing out more at the doors, and as we began asking, it started making more sense.  During halftime, Jimmer got up and talked to everyone about voting for Coach Rose on ESPN.  There is a charity contest and the coach that wins gets $100,000 for his charity.  Coach Rose's is the Children with Cancer Christmas Foundation.  It was fun to see the pink...people wearing all pink outfits, lots of pink sweatbands, and even the team had pink shoes.  I'm going to try to remember to vote every day...you can too.  Just go to espn.com/infiniti. :)

I really enjoy basketball games.  This one definitely didn't disappoint.  We won...by a lot, but it made for a good last game.  It was great being with my cousins too.  I just love them!

No comments: